Monday, May 4, 2009

The Adamantium Claws are Out

This past Friday the highly anticipated X-Men Origins: Wolverine hit theatres. Despite several bad/mediocre reviews the film was able to gross $34 million on Friday.
Exhibitor Relations was calling for Wolverine to close out the weekend with $85 million, a haul that would make it the fourth- or fifth-biggest summer starter this decade, depending on whether it tops its own relation, X2: X-Men United ($85.6 million in 2003).
I went to go see the movie Friday after my classes were through and I must say I thought the film was alright. First of all, like any other comic to screen or book to screen movie I didn't go in expecting it to be 100% accurate to the storyline in the comics. If one goes in with the mindset it should be this way they are always going to be disappointed. There are very few movies that are able to capture a comic/graphic novel story in its entirety.

That being said I thought that some of the changes worked and some were just randomly put in there. For those of you who don't know, and have seen the movie, Logan and Victor are not actually brothers in the comics. However, for the movie it was something that worked and if you think about it would actually make some sense. The pairing of Kayla Silverfox and Emma Frost as sisters, however, gave me a WTF moment and I'm still trying to figure out why they decided to make them siblings, when there's no significance there whatsoever.

The movie was, of course, about Logan Howlett a.k.a Wolverine, but it was the lesser characters that made me actually somewhat enjoy this movie. The two that really stood out to me, despite barely being in the film were the characters of Wade Wilson (DeadPool) and Remy LeBeau (Gambit).

DeadPool and Gambit are two characters in the X-verse that fans have been waiting to see in an X-men film for sometime (especially Gambit) and I believe that these two were done fairly well.











Wade Wilson (DeadPool) was portrayed by Ryan Reynolds who did a fantastic job portraying 'the Merc with the Mouth.' Ryan, who has played the cocky, smart -ass on several occasions, was the perfect pick to play the anti-hero and I only wish he was in the movie just a tad more. The only thing I did not like was what they did with the character at the end of the film, though it does set up the possibility of a DeadPool movie, which if done right could be very good.

Taylor Kitsch, of Friday Night Lights, was the man portraying Remy LeBeau (Gambit) I thought his performance, which came later in the film, was alright, considering the fact I wasn't quite sure how he was going to do. In the scene where Logan and Remy first meet Taylor pretty much steals the scene away from Hugh Jackman...even the purple shirt he wears is great.

The other side characters I thought stole the show were Liev Schreiber's Victor Creed (though his is more of a secondary main character, same with Danny Huston's Stryker) and  Dominic Monaghan's Bolt.

To me it wasn't Wolverine who made this movie, it was the characters that surrounded him.
************
a rather funny review of the movie.

2 comments:

  1. I liked what you had to say. It was very entertaining and insightful. I love the review as well. That guy was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little disappointed with Gambit's fight scenes. They could have done so much more with his character but they barley showed him at all. And for those of us who don't know anything about X-Men it would have been nice to explain some of the other characters. In most cases they didn't even tell you their names let alone explain what their powers were. Otherwise i really enjoyed the movie.

    ReplyDelete